Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Big Surprise

I have half the mind to hold you in suspense for 30 minutes like the ultrasound technician did. Slowly torturing you with pictures of vital organs that would have been of great interest to me had I not been on pins and needles to know the gender of the baby. I know these things are important and I was relieved to learn that our little bundle of joy passed all the ultrasound tests with flying colors. But let’s cut to the chase! After about 30 minutes of torture and blurry images the tech zoomed in on something that seemed familiar. I have seen lots of gender ultrasound pictures and knew immediately what I was looking at. As she typed “leg” and “bottom” on the screen I knew exactly what was coming next. She slowly typed “I am a … B – O – Y!” just as I had predicted. I quickly looked over at Sam because I wanted to see his reaction. A puzzled look washed over his face. I don’t think he believed the technician. He wanted to be absolutely certain about this critical piece of information! He made her show him every detail until he could see with his own eyes the proof that he was in fact having a son. Once Sam had been convinced to his liking, it was all smiles from there!

I had mixed feelings about the whole ultrasound experience that had nothing to do with the results. I am thrilled we have a healthy baby and I can’t wait to raise our little boy. What an adventure it will be! I think I just expected to see more. I mean the experience is pretty amazing but it is a challenge to be full of joy and awe when the tech is pushing hard on your already full bladder and you are craning your neck to catch a glimpse of something on the little monitor. Sam said I should have spoken up and he is right. The monitor was not turned far enough toward me and the tech (who is new to the practice) sped through most of the images before I had a moment to take them in. Luckily this was all forgotten when she brought out the 4D wand. This was truly amazing! The sweet little baby almost looked lifelike on the screen. First he sucked his thumb, then he did something that resembled a wave (all 5 fingers clearly visible), then as if telling us he had had enough of all these photography sessions he nuzzled his hand against his face like he was taking a little nap. I was spellbound and all the troubles of the previous 30 minutes were long gone. I was in love with my baby boy!

We are pleased to introduce the future Samuel “Harrison” Coverdale:






No comments: