Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Thursday, March 6, 2008

Look Ma, No Cavities!

After stressing out over the semi-annual dentist appointment for about a month I finally got up the nerve to call and make an appointment. Normally, there is little to no stress in our house over dentist appointments. This appointment was a little different than others I have experience due to the little baby growing inside of me.

For the last few months, the toothbrush and I have been archenemies. There were weeks where the very idea of brushing my teeth could induce a combination of nausea and tears (over said nausea). At my very worst, I would brush my teeth while showering (the water was distracting) with a plain toothbrush and followed the brushing with a mouthwash rinse. Recently I have been able to return to my regular brushing schedule but I still only brush for the very minimal amount of time required.

Due to the brushing phobia, I didn’t think it would be wise to schedule a dentist appointment during my first trimester but I didn’t see any harm making an appointment now that I was several weeks into my second trimester. I had two basic fears about going to the dentist.

  1. Failure to brush thoroughly for the last couple of months would result in cavities or at least really yucky teeth that would require extreme painful cleaning.
  2. My gag reflex would result in a very unpleasant appointment for both me and the dental hygienist.

I am happy to report (as my title indicated) that I didn’t have any cavities and that I didn’t puke on anyone. I celebrated both accomplishments by treating myself to lunch at the Pei Wei Restaurant around the corner from the dentist office. Yummy!

No comments: