Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Yucky!!!

I had to go in for my gestational diabetes test today. The gestational diabetes test occurs sometime between the 26th and 28th week of pregnancy. The test involves quickly drinking a sickeningly sweet liquid, which contains 50g of glucose. The testing center I attended gave the option of orange, fruit punch or lime. I selected fruit punch since I heard it wouldn't taste as bad as the others - think Fanta without the fizz and about twice the sugar. They gave me five minutes to finish the drink but at least they gave me a straw. After finishing the drink you have to sit very still for an hour (thank goodness for waiting room magazines) and then they take a bunch of blood samples (they use this chance to test for a couple of other things too - at least they only prick you once).

At the very latest, I should get my results back at my next doctor's appointment (next Monday). Hopefully I passed! If I fail (15% of all women fail the first test), I will have to take the 3 hour test. This test requires fasting first followed by drinking another disgusting drink. This time you have to sit for 3 hours with blood drawn every hour. Definitely not something I want to do!

No comments: