Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Two Month Check Up

We tortured the baby today. Poor little guy had to get three shots and one oral vaccine today. He liked the oral vaccine (he loves anything that can be eaten) but wasn't as crazy about the shots. He turned bright red and screamed really loud. Luckily he could be comforted really quickly and within a few seconds seemed to be back to his normal happy self. I have heard him cry much worse in the past so I don't think it was that traumatic for him. I think I was probably more worked up over the shots than he was. I cried a little this morning just thinking about what he was going to have to go through.

Other than the shots, he really seemed to enjoy the doctor. He only fussed a little when they measured his length and again when the doctor checked his leg and hip movement (I don't know why that bothered him so much). Most of the time he was happy. He loved the exam table and really liked Dr. Miller (who wouldn't - she is really sweet and super cute). He smiled a lot, kicked his feet in excitement and talked our ears off. I am glad he was so happy. I don't think there was any doubt that he is developing socially.

Here are the stats from his check up:
Weight: 14lb 8oz (95%)
Height: 22 3/4 (50%)
Head: 40 1/2 (50% - 70%)

That's right, you read the weight correctly. He really is a chunk! Dr. Miller wasn't concerned about his weight but did suggest that we be a little more strict with his feeding schedule. She was thrilled that I was still breastfeeding and said that it is really common for breastfed babies to put on a little more weight since it is hard to monitor the amount fed. She said to try to limit his feeding during the day to every 3 hours. We are getting close to that but there are times when he insists on eating every 2 hours. Once he gets over the shots I will try to be more strict about the feeding schedule. I am not looking forward to it. I am pretty sure I will need to invest in some heavy duty earplugs!

All in all we have a healthy little boy. He seems to be handling the shots well so far. He fell asleep on the way home from the doctor's office and has been sleeping ever since. The doctor said that babies are usually either really fussy or really sleepy. I am hoping since he is sleeping so well that he won't be too fussy. I have heard him crying softly in his sleep but he hasn't really woken up much. I just went in to check him and he felt a little warm so I am going to give him a little baby Tylenol just to be on the safe side. Hopefully he will have a nice peaceful day!

No comments: