Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Second (Unexpected) Doctor’s Appointment

We had an emergency appointment with the doctor today. I had been experiencing some cramping the last couple of days and was starting to get a little concerned. Between the cramping, the cold, a decrease in morning sickness over the last few days and my past history I had gotten really worried. After a couple of restless nights I decided that there was no reason to worry myself any longer. I talked to Amy’s mom first (it is so nice to have a nurse to talk to) and she suggested that I go ahead and call the doctor. The nurse at Dr. Austin’s office was very pleasant and while she said she didn’t think there was cause for concern, she knew it would be better for me to have peace of mind so they scheduled an appointment for me to come in right away and see one of the doctors in the practice.

Our prayers were answered and the check up went really well. Since I was an emergency visit they just scheduled me with the next available doctor. The doctor we met with was really nice and very helpful but I have no idea what her name was! I am going to have to find out because I really liked her. She said that everything looked good and that most likely I was just experiencing cramping due to dehydration from the cold I was having. Based on my dry skin and chapped lips I felt like that was a good possibility. They were also going to run some test to make sure there weren’t any signs of infections. I should hear back from them in the next 24 hours if there are any problems. The last possibility was the funniest by far. Even though we had a sonogram last time she felt like we needed to do another just in case to check for twins. The look on Sam’s face was priceless!

The sonogram confirmed that there was only one baby (thank goodness!) and that its heart was still beating away. I was really surprised how much it had grown in the last week. As I was laying there checking out our little blueberry the sonogram technician turned on the sound so we could hear the heartbeat. What fun! Normally they don’t let you hear the heart so soon but she felt like we needed a little treat to make up for the last few days of worrying. Boy that little heart beats fast. Sam and I had lots of fun imitating it on the way home.

So I am happy to say that we are both healthy. I am trying to increase my water consumption. Now that my morning sickness has subsided a little it is a lot easier to drink fluids. Hopefully this cold will go away soon and I will be back to 100%

PS - I think this picture is even fuzzier than the last but it was a normal sonogram and it isn't magnified as much as the last time. Don't worry if you don't know what you are looking at...if I hadn't seen the heart beating I wouldn't have a clue either!

No comments: