Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Saturday, May 24, 2008

27 Weeks

Thought you might be interested in a developmental update.

27 Week Update Care of
Babycenter:

Your baby is really starting to fill up your uterus. This week he weighs almost 2 pounds and is about 14.4 inches long with his legs extended. He can now open and close his eyes, and he sleeps and wakes at regular intervals. He may suck his fingers, and although his lungs are still immature, they would be capable of functioning — with assistance — if he were to be born prematurely. Chalk up any rhythmic movement you may be feeling to a case of baby hiccups, which may be common from now on. Each episode usually lasts only a few moments, and isn’t bothersome to him, so enjoy the tickle. With more brain tissue developing, your baby’s brain is very active now. Wonder what he’s thinking?

Your body is gearing up for the final lap, so you may start noticing some new symptoms. Along with an aching back, for example, you may find that your leg muscles cramp up now and then. They’re carrying extra weight, after all, and your uterus is putting extra demands on your circulation. (As your uterus expands, it puts pressure on the blood vessels that return blood from your legs to your heart and on the nerves leading from your trunk to your legs.) Unfortunately, the cramps are likely to get worse as your pregnancy progresses. Leg cramps are more common at night but can also happen during the day.


I haven’t felt the baby have hiccups yet. I don't know if I just don't recognize the movement as hiccups or if he is just hiccup-free. Evidently Sam hiccuped a lot when he was a baby - guess little Harrison hasn't picked up that habit yet.

I have been getting leg cramps at night - a feeling like a charlie horse is going to start, but then if I move fast enough it doesn’t happen. A few times, I haven’t caught it in time and have woken up to my leg being curled up in charlie horse pain. It goes away pretty fast, but it’s annoying. The charlie horse I got last weekend stuck around for almost a week. Ouch! Hopefully the banana pudding I had for dessert tonight will help keep away the leg cramps :-) Not quite on the diet but at least it might do some good.

It’s so hard to imagine that I’m in the third trimester now- well according to some of the sites anyway. Other things say it doesn’t start until week 28, but I’ll take what I can get. I can’t wait to meet Harrison, but I know he’s not done growing in there, yet. Everyday I think this becomes more real to me, and I get more excited about having a baby and not just being pregnant. I think I spent most of my awake time feeling the baby kick, playing with my belly, thinking about him, and getting his room ready for his arrival! August 23rd (or whatever day he actually decides to get here) will be here before we know it!

No comments: