Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Thursday, August 21, 2008

False Alarm


So we totally thought we were having a baby last night.

It was about 10:30 and I was reading a book and Sam was watching women's volleyball on televsion. The American girls had just won the gold medal when I started having contractions. The first one came at 10:37. I thought that it was a little different from the Braxton Hicks contractions I had been having - a little more uncomfortable. I didn't say anything at the time but glanced at the clock just in case. About 10 minutes later I had another. I was thrilled! I thought that something was definitely happening. I mentioned it to Sam and we both chatted excitedly for the next 30 minutes or so. At that point I decided that we probably needed to try to get some sleep since it would be a long night/morning if this really was it. Sam drifted off pretty quickly but I had a really hard time falling asleep. I decided it would be best for me to get up and go lay on the sofa with a book. I alternated reading and sleeping for the next few hours. At some point (around 3am) the contractions must have died down because I slept for a couple of hours. I was so disappointed when I woke up at 5am and wasn't having contractions anymore!

So here I am, still waiting. (sigh!) I have had a few contractions today but nothing regular. I am hoping that this is a sign that something is going to happen soon and that my body is just practicing for the real thing. I guess we will have to wait and see...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have had a couple of friends that have headed to the hospital to only be turned away because the doctor told them it was not time... we have joked calling it the "new walk of shame". Hang in there and I hope Harrison decides it is time to make his appearance into this world soon!